Here is the list of what I call the six commandments to healthy hair:
2. Heat: plainly, it ruins the hair. That goes for all heat. No hot water on it. Period. Always rinse in cold. Really limit flat ironing and curling. Opt for air drying, and if you are going to use heat use a thermal protectant such as “Its a 10” leave-in conditioner.
4. Shampoo and Conditioner & Other hair care products: I know it seems weird that these things matter, but they do. Your hair is comprised of an intricate system of layers of proteins and a light lipid layer which helps retain needed moisture. Never use stuff you can buy at walgreens/walmart/CVS/etc. If it’s going in your hair, it better be a professional product that your hairdresser (a licensed cosmetologist) approved. Cheap products typically contain harsh ingredients that destroy the cuticle (your hair’s protective layer) such as sulfates, alcohols, and propylene glycol. Other products like Pantene coat the hair with wax which is also non conducive to healthy hair.
6. Care for your hair: You have to take care of your hair if you want it to be healthy. This means: never twist or wring water out of your hair. Don’t brush your hair when it’s wet. Don’t let your ends whip around in the wind (motorcycles, topless cars, etc.). Wash your hair every other day or every 3 days. Always get your hair wet before you go into the pool/ocean and rinse immediately after. Use quality hair masks to fortify and restore moisture. Be gentle with your hair; care for your hair.
These are my top pick miracle products:
1. PureoIogy Moisturizer shampoo/conditioner
2. It’s a 10 leave-in conditioner (use before heat and whenever hair is damp)
3. It’s a 10 moisture mask (leave in at home for 45 mins, with disposable shower cap, 2x/week)
4. Redken extreme protein hair mask (1x/week)
5. Redken Argan 6
6. Chemistry system (ask a salon professional for the service)
Lastly, biotin pills help hair growth but I will caution you that they do make some people break out.
Remember normal hair growth is 1/2″ per month, so it will take time for the hair to grow.
If you follow the tips above you will notice a big difference in the health of your hair.